So, I wanted to take a quick break from making review blogs. Not every blog I post is going to be a review on a movie I watched, but rather a list of movies I’d like to recommend, and why….Tonight you will be getting a taste of my very first list blog post…
This particular list is short. This is based on 6 movies that are terrifying and based on actual events. The first two are “loosely” based on actual events; meaning, the stories were based on real life crimes that happen, but not focused on one true event.
6. The Lovely Bones – The Lovely Bones is actually a novel that was turned into a film. it stars Mark Wahlberg, Susan Sarandon, Stanley Tucci and the main character is played by Saoirse Ronan. It’s about a girl named Susie Salmon who is raped and murdered by a child molester neighbor. In the movie, she is stuck in the in between watching her family deal with her disappearance. While, I do not believe this story was about anyone in particular, it was to bring focus to all the young girls who this has happened to, which in itself, makes it just as sad as it would if Susie Salmon was a real girl.
5. The Strangers – The strangers terrifies the shit outta me, and I don’t get scared by movies….However, this one hits me in a weak spot due to the theme of being a home invasion. This film stars Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman (you may remember him as the love interest in Felicity..Ben) It’s about a couple who go to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and it gets invaded by these people in masks. This movie was inspired by the Manson murders and a less famous murder known as the Keddie Murders that involved a mother and her children who were staying in a Cabin Sierra Nevada (California)
4. Alpha Dog – Alpha Dog breaks my heart. It stars Justin Timberlake, Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, Olivia Wilde, Amanda Seyfried, and one of my favorite actors Anton Yelchin (I’ll be doing a blog on this guy soon). It is the true story of a drug dealer who gets screwed over by one of his customers, so in return, he kidnaps the dudes brother (played by Yelchin)…Yelchin becomes friends with his kidnappers and parties with them. he forms a really tight bond with Justin Timberlake’s character (in a brotherly type of way). I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who wants to see it, but the end is absolutely horrible & involves a decision made between Yelchin, Hirsch, and Timberlake. You’ll just have to watch it.
3. Zodiac – Zodiac has a great cast – Robert Downey Jr. Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, Chloe Sevingy, and even Lee Norris (Minkus from BMW) has a small appearance in the film..However, it is a terrible story because it’s true, and a lot of people died. The movie focuses around the Zodiac killer — a guy who had 7 confirmed victims (two survived), but claims to have murdered 37 people. This took place in the 60s-70s in California. There have been a lot of claims on who the Zodiac killer may be, but he was never caught and there is no proof. The guy they suspected to be (and most likely was) died shortly before they could get him to confess.
2. Boys Don’t Cry – This movie stars the beautiful Hilary Swank, and another actress I really enjoy, Chloe Sevigny. This movie is a true story based on the life on a transgender (female-to-male) named Brandon Teena…I hear the movie was upsetting to the real people involved and did not portray parts of it accurately, but I still think it’s a great story to tell and how these horrible things happen to the LGBT community. Brandon fell in love with a girl named Lana. Lana was apart of a group of friends Brandon had made; however, once they found out Brandon was really a “girl” originally named Teena Brandon, two of the guys brutally raped him repeatedly (he was a virgin). Originally, they let him go, but later got spooked that he’d go to the cops, so they killed him. Definitely a heart breaking film, but it’s a good educational movie to show what ignorance can do. An innocent lovely person died because people could not accept who he was. Sickening…
1. An American Crime –
With a long list of well known actors (Ellen Page, Catherine Keener, James Franco, Bradley Whitford, Nick Searcy, Ari Graynor) you wouldn’t expect to watch such a brutal film. The acting is incredible and the story is disturbing, flat out upsetting, and will literally make you sick to your stomach to watch. To this day, I still have a hard time enjoying anything with Catherine Kenner. Her acting was so good in the movie, I still feel like she was actually the monster who committed the crime, rather than just the actress.
An American Crime tells the true story of a young girl named Sylvia Likens and her younger sister, Jennie. Their parents were in a travelling carnival, so the Liken sisters decided to stay at the house of a woman named Gertrude Baniszewski. Sylvia had just befriended Gertrude’s daughters. This event took place in 1965 in Indiana. Gertrude had a lot of mental problems and was poor, supporting a lot of children. She agreed to let the girls there in exchange for $$ promised by the girls father. The payments started coming late so Gertrude started taking it out on Sylvia. She locked her in the basement, and the neighborhood kids would take turns beating her.. They starved her, made her eat her own feces, and carved words into her chest. These are only some of the nasty things they did to this poor girl. There are some things you’ll see in the movie that I can’t even bring myself to say. This movie is NOT a movie to watch for entertainment. It will break every little piece of your heart, and it does not have a happy ending. I recommend this movie for those who have an interest in murder crimes and would like to understand the history. It is definitely not a “date night” movie or something to watch because you are bored and want to be entertained.